Friday, September 11, 2009

Where were you when 9/11 happened?

This post has nothing at all to do with romance. It is as far away from romance as one can possible get.

Today is the 8th anniversary of the horrible event we all simply call 9/11. This event forever changed life as we knew it in America...and the world for that matter. So many things have changed about our way of life because of 9/11 and it will never ever go back to the way it was before 9/11. The Genie is out of the bottle. He (she) cannot be stuffed back in.

So many people lost their lives that day. So many families lost their loved ones, their lives forever scarred. Even people who did not lose anyone in that tragic event will be forever scarred because of it.

There are events in one's lives that happen that one will always remember where they were when it happened.

President Kennedy's assassination is one that I will always remember where I was that day. I was in 10th grade Civics class and it was announced over the intercom.

The space shuttle Challenger blowing up is another event that I will always remember where I was that day. I was living in Mobile, AL and watching it on TV with some of my friends.

9/11 will also be forever branded into my mind. I will always remember where I was at that day. I was living in Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia. With the time difference, it was already nighttime in Saudi Arabia. My husband was working night shift and I was home alone. I did not know anything was happening, even though I was up late working on a manuscript for a book I was writing, until I received an email from an author friend of mine. His email simply stated... "America is under attack!" My friend had a wierd sense of humor and I thought he was joking around with me. I emailed another friend of mine and they said it was not a joke. I turned on the TV and listened to BBC (one of the few outside news stations we could get) and was horrified by what I saw and heard. And I WAS SCARED OUT OF MY MIND because my husband and I were living in Saudi Arabia...the country where many of the terrorists were from. I could go on and on about my experiences living in Saudi Arabia after this and until I could leave but I will not do so now. That may be a post for another time but not now.

My question to you, my fans, is where were you on 9/11? What were your thoughts, your feelings? Did you lose a loved one? Did you know someone who lost a loved one?

No comments:

Post a Comment